包邮区(Bao Yo Choo)
WeChat official account, 200K followers | Freelance branding design by Yinghua | Designed with Sketch
包邮区 (Bao Yo Choo) is an official Wechat account that delivers in-depth coverage on the latest big stories in the real estate market of Mainland China. It is truth driven, ethical, and has sarcastic original content that makes each article gain 100K+ views within the first hour.
The literal meaning of the brand name - 包邮区 - is free shipping zone. It refers to Jiang-zhe-hu region (Shanghai and the bordering Zhejiang and Jiangsu provinces) in China, as almost all online sellers waive shipping fees for orders to this region. This region is also where the biggest real estate deals often happen.
" In the prevailing pandering and ratings-driven media environment, I see 包邮区 as the Don Quixote single-handedly working on reclaiming journalism as an honorable profession. It's such an honor for me to design its branding. "
My primary goal was to create a logo that meets the following standards:
- Accurate visual expression of the brand name and attributes
- Simple geometric construction for easy recognition
- Interesting composition with exploration space
- Sophisticated and professional style to empathize with the audience
3 mood boards were created based on the following requirements:
- Client's request - black as the mono or primary color
- Article attributes - professional, fair, ethical, and sarcastic
- Audience taste - sophisticated, professional, and intelligent
- Imagery style - cinematic (one scene from a classic film is a reference for each article)
I explored many draft shapes/concepts by drawing low-poly sketches. The main directions are:
- Express the brand name: Free shipping, Packaging
- Represent the Chinese character: 包
- Represent the topic: Real Estate, Investment
- Represent the media: Journal, News
During the drafting, I realized that 1) the Chinese character 包‘s shape could fit into a cube, which can also represent a package or a building 2) the ellipsis representing text could be used with a parachute 3) 包it could mean "has everything" by itself
I selected four draft shapes and created them in Sketch.
- The parachute logo with an ellipsis below could represent: free shipping, spirit of discovery, and articles
- The fountain pen nib logo with a building inside could represent: journalism, real estate, and Jiang-zhe-hu region (the building is the iconic Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai)
- The notification dot logo could motivate people to read more
- The last logo could represent: the Chinese character 包, buildings, cube-shaped packages, the symbol @, which could refer to locate and focus
Among all of the options, the editor picked the winning version: a solid visual representation of the Chinese character 包 that also expresses all of our ideal topics: real estate, shipping, and news focus
Symbol Construction & PROPORTION
To make the final logo looks balanced, I used grids to facilitate consistency and establish a clear set of rules for the positioning of graphic elements.
Wechat uses 3 shapes for account images: circle, square, and rounded square. Depending on the screen and the device used, the image will either be trimmed to or filled with black/white background in one of the three shapes. Therefore, I made sure to add enough space around the icon, so that the icon would not be trimmed in any of the circumstances.
I created the typeface for 包邮区. For 包 and 区, I used the same 3D graphic style to keep consistency. For the much more complicated character 邮, I kept it 2D for the ease of recognition. With the 2D styled 邮 in the middle, the whole typeface actually has an overall converging 3D view, which I really like.
more projects by Yinghua
XR Fitness App - YOGAR - Gamified yoga with HoloLens
XR Social App - Viewing Party - Augmented TV-viewing with HoloLens
Extension UI - FlipWord - Learn a language while browsing
3D Modeling - 3D animation and industrial design